Multiplication can be a difficult concept for kids to grasp but once they understand the theory, they still need to work on memorizing the multiplication tables. Mastery of multiplication facts is essential to further math education and is also one of those elementary school lessons that is actually useful in the real world. Luckily, there are a plethora of apps that you can use to help teach and reinforce multiplication facts.
- Splash Math is available for several grade levels and covers the gamut of basic math operands. The app covers the Common Core Curriculum and monitors progress so students and parents alike can make sure learning is progressing. Both math facts and problem statements (or story problems) are included in the game, extending the learning opportunities and real world application. The app includes an explanation for wrong answers and a voice narration of problem statements so that students who are not strong readers can continue to excel in math. A scratchpad tool is even provided so students can work out their answers.
- Younger kids who have already mastered addition and subtraction will enjoy moving on to multiplication with Math Dots (Dinosaur). Parents can select a single operand or allow the app to vary addition, subtraction and multiplication to keep kids on their toes. To play the game, kids must answer math questions correctly to move to the next dot in a dot-to-dot picture; the goal is to complete the dinosaur picture and earn more puzzles. A Princess version is also available for kids who prefer a little less roar and a little more glitter.
- Flippin Math Facts offers a more traditional approach to the memorization of math facts with a flash card format. The added bonuses of timed play, tracked scores, and customizable playing decks, however, make this app much more fun than an old set of flash cards. Children can use this app on their own to practice without needing a parent, teacher, or sibling to check their answers.
- Time Tables Jungle is another way to practice multiplication skills within a fun, game-like setting. The intuitive game progresses according to the player’s skill level and parents can create several profiles to ensure that each child is working at their own pace. More than 30 different challenges are offered and scores can be compared to users world-wide.
- Basic Dragon Math is a comprehensive app bundle to cover addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Students can choose which operands to focus on and the questions will get progressively more difficult as the game continues. The correct answer is highlighted when an incorrect answer is given but parents have the option to adjust the level of difficulty to make sure their child is being challenged but not overwhelmed. The Game Center also allows you to challenge other users to see who can earn the most points!
When paper and flash cards are not enough, today’s students have the option to turn to a tablet for fun, interactive math games to help reinforce and encourage math skills. Many are free or low-cost so start researching the right app for your child today.
For 15 years Mimi Rothschild has been privileged to help hundreds of thousands of homeschoolers educate their children at home. The MorningStar Academy is a private online Christian school offering diplomas and teachers. The Jubilee Academy is an online Christian curriculum provider offering over 150 full year online Christian courses for PreK-12.